Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I love the IRS

What? The agency that many Americans fear? And it is not because I expect a big refund like some do. In fact, I know the smaller your refund, the better, since you didn't loan the government (through payroll deductions that are too high) interest free.

The Internal Revenue Service does a great job, especially with the byzantine rules that congress enacts. Have you noticed if you download a 1040 tax form in PDF format, you can not only type your information into the forms, but you can save the data? Usually a person would have to have the professional version of Acrobat to save data in the form, but the IRS has appeared to license that ability for its forms.

And new this year, you can file your return electronically for free regardless of income level, if you feel comfortable not having a software program walk you through each step. It's called Free File Fillable Tax Forms. Just fill out the forms on-line, and it will do the math too. You need to look up the tax on the tax table, but it is pretty slick. The actual site is not an IRS site. I've used the old style free file sites in past years and I hated the nagging they did to try to sign me up for the "premier" version.

One tax year I had a pretty complex return, and I ended up with a $1 (one dollar!) refund. I saved the check just for fun to show off; suitable for framing. Well, the IRS noticed I didn't cash my refund check, so they increased my refund check the next year by that $1!

No comments:

Post a Comment